PURLs: Persistent Links to Library Resources
PURLs: Just a Click Away
Linking to Course Readings: Creating Persistent Links to Library Resources
Persistent links (PURLs) connect students to articles and other selected materials from the library’s databases. Magazine, journal, newspaper, and reference-book articles, as well as eBooks and streaming videos, can be integrated seamlessly into online courses, instructor pages, email, and other web-based applications.
Database vendors supporting PURLs are: Ebrary, EBSCO, Gale, OVID, ProQuest and more. Check with your college librarian for more detailed information and assistance.
1. Locate an article, ebook, or streaming video in the Library databases: http://libguides.gatewaycc.edu/databasesbysubject
2. Within the article, capture the persistent link (also called durable link, bookmark, or permalink).
3. Add your college specific EZproxy® prefix: http://ezlib.gatewaycc.edu/login?url=
(Note: Some database companies automatically add the college EZproxy®, so be sure to check.)
4. Embed these PURLs in course management systems (i.e., Canvas), email, and other web-based locations.
5. Test your PURLs from both on and off campus to assure student access. Please model proper citation format when linking.
Consists of college-specific EZproxy® prefix + article persistent link
Links to specific article within CQ Researcher:
Ways to contact librarians:
Chat with a librarian for immediate research help
Call us at 602-286-8458, during the Library's open hours for assistance.
E-mail us. Checked daily, Mon-Fri during the regular semester.