PURLs: Persistent Links to Library Resources
PURLs: Just a Click Away
Linking to Course Readings: Creating Persistent Links to Library Resources
Persistent links (PURLs) connect students to articles and other selected materials from the library’s databases. Magazine, journal, newspaper, and reference articles as well as eBooks, and streaming videos, can be integrated seamlessly into online courses, instructor pages, email, and other web-based applications.
Database vendors supporting PURLs are: Ebrary, EBSCO, Gale, OVID, ProQuest and more. Check with your college librarian for more detailed information and assistance.
1. Locate an article, ebook, or streaming video in the Library databases: http://libguides.gatewaycc.edu/databasesbysubject
2. Within the article, capture the persistent link (also called durable link, bookmark, permalink, cite, etc.)
3. Add your college specific EZproxy® prefix. (Note: some database companies automatically add the college EZproxy® so be sure to check). http://ezlib.gatewaycc.edu/login?url=
4. Embed these PURLs in course management systems (i.e. Canvas), email, and other web based locations.
5. Test your PURLs from both on and off-campus to assure student access. Please model proper citation format when linking.
College specific EZproxy® prefix + article persistent link
Link to specific article within CQ Researcher:
Ways to contact librarians:
Chat with a librarian for immediate research help
Call us at 602-286-8458, during the Library's open hours for assistance.
E-mail us. Checked daily, Mon-Fri during the regular semester.